Wednesday, April 28, 2010

When it rains it pours.


This is a pretty good description of me right now. Except add a little more brown hair, less gray, and take out the ruffled shirt, oh and I'm not even 27 yet....but the cane and wobbling is all correct. Oh and did I mention I'm 25 weeks pregnant?
It all started last Wednesday morning when I woke up with a sore hip. Just sore, not annoying or anything, and thought it would just go away once I got up and at 'em. Nope. It got worse and worse through out the day. By lunch I had a limp, by dinner I was close to tears in pain. All that night I slept maybe 30 minutes and cried a few times in pain. I called my ob/gyn the next morning to see what was up and she suggested I see an Orthopedic doctor, so I went to them that afternoon. I wobbled into their office, they took some xrays, didn't see too much so decided on an MRI. I had that MRI on Friday evening. Not our idea of a nice Friday night date, but whatever goes right? I had to suffer with the EXTREME pain all weekend ( What I really wished for was an epidural to take away the pain and feeling all together), with basically no relief from pain meds or icing it. No matter what position I put myself in it hurt.
On top of all that I was going through and the stress that was on Jack, Jacob started wheezing TERRIBLY on Sunday morning. Bad enough that he was making it very clear that he was miserable and scared. Jack took him to the Urgent Care and stayed there a few hours, now Jacob is on regular nebulizer treatments for a few weeks. Thank goodness he has started cooperating and doesn't make us tackle him and wrap him up like a pretzel to hold him down.
Sunday night I started having consistent contractions, not painful, but none the less, and thought "Are you kidding me? What else? What else?!". I had my friend take me to the hospital to make sure things were okay. Thankfully we were only there a couple hours and were sent home. The doctor thinks the amount of pain and stress my body is going through was causing the contractions.
Back to the MRI- I finally got a hold of the orthopedic doctor once he got out of surgeries Monday afternoon and he told me that as far as they can tell I have a condition called "OsteoChondritis". Basically I have a piece of bone/cartilage floating around in my hip (it is rare in the hip) causing the pain and inflammation. I am told to stay off of it as much as possible, use a cane and crutches when I need to get up and move, and they will see what they can do to fix it once I have the baby. It is too dangerous to operate while pregnant.
As of the last couple days the pain has FINALLY subsided to a minimum because we were able to get the inflammation down with a high push on ibuprofen.
Our family is getting lots of help from friends at church since I can't do much at all around the house, for the kids, or for myself. I am so thankful for the power of prayer, and the power of priesthood blessings given to me from my husband and our home teacher from church. When I was in so much pain I had never prayed so often in my life for the pain to go away, for my son to be okay when he was wheezing so bad, and for my husband to have the strength and patience to get our family through everything.
Thanks again to everyone helping us out either through your prayers or service to our family.
UPDATE: I am doing SOOO much better now. I have a little limp but am pretty much back to normal. The doctors are thinking I will most likely need surgury eventually, but we'll just have to wait and see after the baby comes. I have to make sure not to do too much during the day or I start hurting in the evening, but other than that things are starting to get back to normal. Jacob is starting to get better as well, we just have to figure out if he has allergies, asthma, or just a nasty cold that keeps coming back.
Thanks so much for everyone's prayers, we really appreciate them.

11 comments:

Hailey @ Me and My Boys said...

I'm so sorry you're going through such a rough time! You and the fam are definitely in our prayers!

lady said...

I didn't know all of this was happening. Hope you get back to yourself soon. Can't that piece of floating bone just find its way out with your poop?!?!? Then you wouldn't need surgery. Maybe you should pray for that. might be a painful poop but then you'd be done with it! J/K.
Really, hope you get better soon.

Bud & Kim said...

Oh Tiffany I'm SO sorry! I feel awful that you have to wait until after the baby comes to get some relief. I'm glad that the inflammation has gone down a bit. Hang in there!

joolee said...

SO sorry Tiffany! That's just crazy. I hope you're able to feel better soon and get around (even if it is hobbling!). You need a motorized cart. :) We'll be thinking of you (and Jacob!).

The Plum Verbena said...

Oh my goodnees Tiffany!! I am so sorry. I had read on FB a few days ago that you were having some problems- but I had no idea it was so bad. I am SO sorry!!! I am so glad that you have had help. You will be in my prayers!!

The Smith Family said...

Ugh Tiffany! I'm so sorry you're going through all of this. If I can help take the boys off your hands for a bit, let me know. I know how hard it is to be told to be down and have two little monkey boys running around--it's TOUGH and next to impossible. You'll be in my prayers!!

Piper said...

Oh Tiffany- that is SO rough!! Hopefully everything will go smoothly with the rest of the pregnancy so you don't get too stressed. Keep doing as you are doing- relying on prayers and blessings and allow those who are close enough to help to do just that.

Melissa said...

Oh no Tiffany! I feel so bad for you. I just hope that the pain subsides so you don't have to suffer like this through the rest of your pregnancy. If anyone can handle something like this with her head up it's you Tiffany! We will keep you in our thoughts and our prayers!

Brandi Doss said...

Oh my goodness Tif, I am so so sorry to hear all the stuff you guys have been going through. Life is so crazy sometimes, but I wish I was there so I could have helped you. I will bring dinner as soon as I get back, I promise. Wasn't Jack going out of town soon? Love you to death and glad you and Jacob are feeling better. See you next week. Love ya.

Melissa said...

I didnt know this at all. I had heard you were having some trouble with your hip - but I didnt know it was that bad and then when I saw you with the cane on Sunday- I thought I better check your blog. I am sorry I wasnt one to help. I still can though- if you need help with your boys or any errands done, let me know. I'll be sure to pray for you!

4webbsontheweb said...

I am so sorry to hear you are going through all of this and all at the same time too. It sure makes it hard when you have little ones to care for, especially when they aren't feeling well. I am glad you have had good friends to help. I hope you all get better soon!