Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Our Whirlwind Life

Life has been a whirlwind the past 4 months!I really have no idea where to pick up with updating this blog....

I suppose I'll start with a few random pictures...

We had a "mild" winter this year, at least compared to last years fierce winter. We actually never lost sight of our Lilac bush this year! Jacks parents so generously insisted they buy us a snow thrower, so we thankfully accepted! I have to say, it is definitely a lot easier...and slightly more fun than using a shovel, but doesn't give you the workout that shoveling does. Here's a picture of Jack using it after one of our more heavy snowfalls in January.






Towards the end of February we took a quick weekend trip to Kansas City with Jack's brother and his family. We stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge, we had a blast! This hotel has a huge indoor waterpark that only the guests can use. We had a lot of fun playing with the cousins in the warm water and taking a relaxing break from life. The drive down there wasn't so great though, it started snowing pretty hard. Later that night when we were coming back from dinner we both ended up getting stuck in quite a few inches of snow....thankfully we both got free and made it back to the hotel less than a mile away.


Our spring around here has been a little....shall we say, Bi-Polar. One week we'll have marvelous 70 degree temperatures and a few days later there will be snow flurries. Oy. One thing that bothers my about spring in most places is it can be SO windy, Omaha is no exception. What's the use of a nice warm day if you keep getting blown over?! When I took these pictures we were at the park with my good friend Carleen and her kids, it was SO windy outside it kept blowing the kids off balance, but they insisted on staying at the park, I guess they had had enough of cabin fever.



Lastly on this particular post.....

I signed the boys up for swim lessons at a facility here called DiVentures...awesome place! Tyler LOVED swim lessons, and did quite well, but Jacob, well, let's just say he'd rather be doing other things than be at swim lessons. When I signed them up there were only 5 weeks left in the session. Jacob cried and screamed through the first few lessons, we missed the the third because of colds, and on the last lesson he cried a little, but was mostly okay and did what the teacher asked him to. I don't really understand him though- right after we left the place he would be so excited about his lessons and say he had so much fun, but as soon as we'd get back there and start getting changed for his lesson he started crying.....who knows! Tyler was such a kind brother, always trying to be very encouraging for him as I was trying to get Jacob to stay with his teacher. Jacob did make progress though, on the very last lesson he went under and didn't even cry when he came back up!
Tyler joined right in from the start. He went under the water on his first lesson, which is a hard thing for me to even get him to do in the shower! On the third lesson he was able to swim about 3 kicks on his own. I hope to be able to sign then up for swim lessons again once we get to Denver (more on that in the next post). Anyhow, here are some pictures and videos from swim lessons.



 Katy's cheeks get SO rosey red when she is hot, they kept the pool area here at 86 degrees so the kids aren't turning purple when they aren't in the pool....so we got pretty toasty each week.
Jacob patiently waiting for Tyler's class to finish...he was beat boxing in this picture.

3 comments:

team cowan said...

I've heard about Great Wolf Lodge. Sounds amazing. I'm jealous. ;)
I want to sign Quinn up for swimming lessons this summer, but am nervous about it. That kid.... I swear, sometimes there's not a thought in his head. But I wonder if more structure/classes/teachers other than me could help with that. Glad Tyler did so well in it.
And Katy is as adorable as ever. Those cheeks!

p.s. my word verification was "nometh". A good reminder. ;)

maurine said...

Glad to see you are doing so well! Bryant and Cora are signed up for swim lessons as well and they both love it! Katy is the sweetest thing I have seen since Cora was a little baby with big cheeks!

Bekah said...

Yay for an update! I forgot to tell you that when I had the kids outside at the pools Jacob went up to the car pool and put his hands on the tire and started "scratching" and beat boxing! LOL!