Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Wonderful World of Canning


I have finally learned how to can. Yes, my mom did can a lot when I was growing up...but we weren't allowed in the kitchen. Now, before you start saying to yourself "well that wasn't very nice of her mom to keep her from learning such a great skill" think about what she had to deal with...would you want 7 little kids running around with curiousity in your kitchen? Especially with HOT stuff all around? No, probably not. So mom, I understand now why you kept me out of the kitchen. hehe


Anyway, back to my canning experience- a group here where we live gets boxes of freshly picked peaches from an orchard in Colorado each year. I decided it'd be fun to try canning them and bought a 30lb box along with Jack's brother's wife, Bekah. Neither of us had canned before but got as much info as we could and decided to give it a try. We had a lot of fun! It's a lot of waiting around for things to boil, and a lot of peeling and slicing, but we had fun. Now Jack on the other hand would have to disagree on the fun part. I dragged him over to Bekah's house and he ended up watching our 4 kids for a few hours, he didn't really enjoy that too much. Sorry hun, thanks though!!!!


Well, we had fun, the peaches came out great too! I was excited to tell our Sunday guests that I had canned the peaches that were in our peach cobbler...it made it taste even better knowing I did the peaches on my own:)


Here's an awesome canning website I found during my research: http://www.pickyourown.org/index.htm

1 comment:

lady said...

Good for you on the canning! We finally have our blog up and going. It is
jacobanddevon.blogspot.com
hope everything is going well with you guys.